Monday, January 11, 2016
5 Ways to Shave Minutes Off Your Morning Routine
Hello 2016! What a busy fall and holiday season it's been. I'm ready for things to settle down a bit and to hopefully get back in a routine. The morning routine is a constant struggle for me and something I really want to work on in the new year. If you're like me, every minute counts in the morning. Here's a quick list of tricks I used recently to shave a few minutes off my morning drill. Most are obvious but, I think all serve as a good reminder.
1. Pick out your entire outfit the night before--including undergarments, accessories, shoes and outerwear. Although it sounds obvious, it's a major time saver when you're trying to get out the door. If I had a dollar for every minute I've stood in my closet staring at wardrobe options, I'm pretty sure I could take a really awesome vacation somewhere exotic. Does your outfit need ironing? Make yourself do it before bed. Possible catastrophes with the iron come morning time could cost you big. And don't forget to check the weather as that will certainly impact your choices.
2. Wash your hair the night before and go a day or two between washings. Even if you aren't a shower the night before kind of gal, that doesn't mean you can't wash your hair the night before. This is the BIGGEST time saver for me. You may remember these posts (here and here) about dry shampoo--my favorite tool for extending washings.
3. Make your time in front of the mirror count. Organize your make up bag keeping only the essentials handy so you don't waste time digging through unnecessary items. Also, know what you can skip if you start running behind. Are three eye shadow colors really necessary on days when you're running late?
4. Skip technology. It's so easy to wake up and get sucked in to checking your favorite social media channels and email. Save this for any spare minutes you have after you are completely ready to walk out the door or save it for lunch time.
5. Plan your breakfast and have it ready to go. Just as mentioned above, do as much as you can the night before. If you're a coffee drinker, have everything prepped and ready so all you have to do is press "brew."
Again, all pretty obvious but good reminders none the less. What tips and tricks do you have for shortening your daily routine? Here's wishing you stress free mornings in 2016!